Nintendo is set to release a game entitled Tomodachi Life on June 6, 2014 for Nintendo 3DS. Tomodachi Life is a sequel to the Japan-exclusive game, Tomodachi Collection for Nintendo DS which came out about five years ago. This will be the first Tomodachi game released outside of Japan. The game takes place on an island inhabited by Miis, including your personal Mii that you use on your system. You can also import Miis from other systems or using QR codes. Miis can then be given their own voice and a unique personality that is based on the way you answer questions. The Miis can then perform various actions, including as eating, trying on different outfits, falling in love, and other leisurely activities.
Tomodachi Life looks like a cross between Animal Crossing and the Sims and should be just as addicting to play as those two. There was some controversy surrounding this game as to why Nintendo didn’t include the possibility of same-sex relationships in the game. Nintendo stated that the same-sex relationship change to the game would require significant development alterations which would delay the release date of the game. To me the entire thing was blown out of proportions.
Some of the locations in the game include the following:
- Amusement Park: Prepare to be amused. You’ll find rides and magic shows here, plus Tomodachi Quest—an old-school videogame within your game. Whoa!
- Café: Meet at the café for gossip, romance, and oh yeah, coffee.
- Clothing: You’ll find a wide range of outfits for your islanders here. Sporty clothes, fancy duds, and a hamster suit? Yes please.
- Compatibility Tester: Use this to see which islanders are destined to be BFFs and which relationships are doomed. DOOMED.
- Concert Hall: Let your islanders sing and dance their hearts out on stage. You can even write your own lyrics. Now what rhymes with “Virtual Boy”?
- Food Mart: A Mii needs to eat! See if you can figure out each islander’s favorite food—or the stuff they hate.
- Fountain: Every classy town has a fountain. This is also where your islanders will donate money daily.
- Hats: They’ve got everything from cat ears to trucker hats—but what else do you need?
- Import Wear: This shop specializes in items you can only get from other players (or from Nintendo). Stop by and treat yourself!
- Interiors: Why live in a boring apartment when you could live in one that looks like a space station, a palace, or a train car?
- Mii Apartments: This stylish building is where your Mii™ characters will live. Stop by to help solve problems, play games, or just hang out…you never know what’ll happen. Boost your islanders’ “Happiness” score to get rewards.
- Mii News: This just in: News reports happen daily at 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.
- Observation Tower: You can see for miles up here. It’s a great way to spy on the neighbors, not that you’d do that.
- Pawn Shop: Sell stuff you don’t want for cold, hard, in-game cash. Sweet deal!
- Photo Studio: Get in-game portraits taken that you can cherish forever (and share with friends).
- Rankings Board: Find out who’s hot, who’s not, and who’s the most popular. Seriously, though, who is it?!
- Town Hall: This is where the magic happens. And by “magic,” we mean creating the Mii characters who live on your private island.
Check out the official website.