Roughly six years ago Sony released the PSP and set the portable gaming world a blaze with the new handheld. The screen was brighter, bigger and had some of the best graphics seen on a portable to date. Today the PSP isn’t anything that’s going to knock your socks off and there were many rumors as of late about the next iteration of the PSP floating around CES this year. Those rumors have proved to become true because Sony has just officially announced the PSP2 at an event in Tokyo. For now however, Sony is calling the portable device by its code name ‘Next Generation Portable’ or NGP for short.
Fans of the PSP have been dreaming of dual analog sticks for years and they finally get them in the NGP. It will also feature a high-resolution, touch-sensitive OLED screen that’s larger than the original PSP screen, tilt-sensitive SIXAXIS controls, dual analog sticks, front and back-facing cameras, and a touch sensitive back panel. This new touchpad back panel will make most of the device interactive unlike anything seen before. Sony claims that the new NGP will be as powerful as the PlayStation 3.
There will be no more UMD with the NGP. Sony in introducing a new game medium that’s a small flash memory based card. The cards will be able to hold full software titles plus add-on game content and game save data. Sony also announced ‘PlayStation Suite’ which will allow the games to be played on other Android based devices such as mobile phones, smart-phones, and tablet PCs.
In addition, Sony is introducing a new service called LiveArea that will let your NGP be able to detect others in the area and let you see what they’re playing, chat, see game rankings, etc. It sounds like something similar to what the Nintendo DS has with PictoChat but hopefully this is on a much larger scale. The NGP is expected to be out later this year in Japan. No timeframe given to the U.S. release date yet.
The Full Specs
- CPU: ARM® Cortex™-A9 core (4 core)
- GPU: SGX543MP4+
- External Dimensions: Approx. 182.0 x 18.6 x 83.5mm (width x height x depth) (tentative, excludes largest projection)
- Rear touch pad: Multi touch pad (capacitive type)
- Cameras: Front camera, Rear camera
- Sound: Built-in stereo speakers, Built-in microphone
- Sensors: Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer), Three-axis electronic compass
- Location: Built-in GPS, Wi-Fi location service support
- Keys / Switches: PS button, Power button, Directional buttons (Up/Down/Right/Left), Action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square), Shoulder buttons (Right/Left), Right stick, Left stick, START button, SELECT button, Volume buttons
- Wireless communications: Mobile network connectivity (3G), IEEE 802.11b/g/n (n = 1×1)(Wi-Fi) (Infrastructure mode/Ad-hoc mode), Bluetooth® 2.1+EDR （A2DP/AVRCP/HSP）
The Announced Games
- Hustle Kings
- Hot Shots Golf
More at PlayStation Blog.